City of Kenosha Menu


KENOSHA PUBLIC WORKS - For questions please contact 262.653.4050
To view additional project information go to

Click here to view the current Road Closure and Street Construction Report.

Please check the Kenosha Water Utility (KWU) website for a detailed listing, for questions please contact 262.653.4300

PLEASANT PRAIRIE - for questions please contact 262.694.1400

Please check the Department of Transportation (DOT) website

See section 7.16 of the City of Kenosha General Ordinances for information on heavy vehicle traffic.

Click here to view a map of heavy vehicle routes and viaduct locations in the City of Kenosha.

No Phone Zone SignThere are 48 schools in the City of Kenosha, each with a designated School Zone, marked with signage. Public Works staff is continuing to update and install No Phone Zone signs (see photo) at each of the City schools. At this time, the following schools have the No Phone Zone signs posted:

  • Edward Bain School of Language and Art
  • Bose Elementary School
  • Washington Middle School
  • Reuther Central High School/Harborside Academy
  • Bullen Middle School
  • Nash Elementary School
  • Dimensions of Learning Academy
  • St. Joseph’s Catholic Academy (Lower)

Staff is updating the school zone signage around each school in the City of Kenosha to adjust and/or install additional signage.

The Pike Bike Trail is made up of interconnecting paths, both on and off road, linking Milwaukee to Chicago. Avid bicyclists may want to ride the entire trail in a day. Recreational riders may choose to ride the trail in segments. Daily trips could include riding from Kenosha north to Milwaukee, or south to Chicago. There are various stops along the way to rest and enjoy the scenery. Additionally, there are various bike lanes and routes available to cyclists throughout the city.

View a map of bike paths, lanes and routes

Roundabouts are becoming increasingly common on US roadways. The City of Kenosha utilizes roundabouts to increase traffic flow efficiency and safety under specific intersection conditions.

Roundabout Guide

Image via WI DOT

For detailed information on the benefits of roundabouts, and driving tips, please visit

Our Street Division currently maintains more than 310 centerline miles of streets and alleys to provide safe travel for our City residents and visitors. Pothole repair requests can be directed to the Street Division at 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.) or by using the City of Kenosha mobile app (for directions on how to download the City of Kenosha mobile app, click here). Please indicate if the pothole is HAZARDOUS, meaning capable of causing damage or an accident, so an emergency response crew can be dispatched immediately.

Street Hazards/Debris

Please report miscellaneous street hazards to the Street Division at 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.) or the Police Department after hours. Some examples of street hazards are: displaced manhole covers, sagging overhead wires, malfunctioning traffic signals, missing electrical panel door or sink holes.

To report street debris, including animal carcasses/road kill, or to report barricade issues, please contact the Street Division at 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.).

Street sweepers will collect leaves that naturally fall or blow into the street from the wind. It is against City Ordinance (§11.02 U) to place, sweep, throw or deposit grass clippings, rubbish, or other debris such as leaves into the streets or alleys. Raking leaves into the streets is prohibited and can block the sweeper pick-up nozzles and storm sewers.

Street Resurfacing

The work to repair, improve and maintain our roadways ranges from pothole patching to resurfacing and road reconstruction.

A resurfacing project typically includes:

  • Milling (removing) top layer of asphalt and paving new surface
  • Replacing hazardous walkways and driveway approaches as needed and adding federally required ADA wheelchair ramps
    • Note: Hazardous walkways and driveways are assessable to abutting property owners.
  • Replacing curbs as needed, due to deterioration or grading changes

Every other year City staff rates the roadways within the City based on their condition, and then prioritizes them for resurfacing. The City budgets approximately $1 million per year to the resurfacing of roadways within the City.


Property owners can circulate a petition among the abutting property owners to request that the City pave their street or alley at a cost that will be assessed back to the abutting properties. The Public Works Committee will review the petition for consideration in a future capital improvements program. Property owners may contact the Public Works Department at 262-653-4050 (M-F, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) for petition requirements.

For issues pertaining to grading, potholes and gravel alley repair, please contact the Street Division at 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.).

For information on vacating an alley, click here.

Several factors must be considered before a stop sign can be installed including: pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle volume, vehicle speed, collision history, visibility, and special conditions. Data is gathered and evaluated in accordance with the national guidelines published in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Stop signs are installed at an intersection only after a careful engineering study is completed, a 90-day trial period has taken place and approval is obtained from the Public Safety and Welfare Committee and the Common Council. Stop signs are intended to assign right-of-way at an intersection, NOT to control speed. Often, other measures such as parking restriction, tree or hedge trimming to increase sight distances, or speed enforcement can improve traffic safety at an intersection. For more information on signs and traffic lights, contact the City Traffic Engineer at 262-653-4050 (M-F, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.).

Street light issues or requests for repair should be directed to one of the following groups, depending on the owner of the particular pole. Pole ownership can be determined based on the pole‘s material, or by viewing the map below.

Wood Pole – Contact WE Energies at 1-800-242-9137 or report the problem online here.

Other Pole – Contact the City of Kenosha Street Division at 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.) or use the City of Kenosha Mobile app.

For directions on how to download the City of Kenosha mobile app, click here.

Click here to view a map of City-owned street lights and signalized intersections by owner.

For maintenance questions/concerns or to report a malfunctioning traffic signal, please refer to the below contact information:

  • City-owned signals: 262-653-4070 (M-F, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
  • County-owned signals: 262-857-1870
  • State-owned signals: 262-548-5902
  • Village of Pleasant Prairie-owned signals: 262-694-1403 (M-F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)

To determine ownership, please view the map listed below.

To report a malfunction after hours, contact the non-emergency Kenosha Police Department at 262-656-1234.

Click here to view a map of City-owned street lights and signalized intersections by owner.