City of Kenosha Menu

When is the real estate tax bill due and do I have to pay the whole bill? There are two payment options after receiving your bill:

Full Payment Option:
BY JANUARY 31 - Pay the total amount of the tax due.

Installment Option:
BY JANUARY 31 - Pay the amount of the first installment due.
BY APRIL 30 - Pay the amount of the second installment due.
BY JULY 31 - Pay the amount of the third installment due.

If you choose to pay in installments, please remember:

The bill is divided into 3 installments. The due dates are January 31st, April 30th and July 31st. The amount of the installment due on your bill must be paid by the appropriate due date. If any portion of the installment is paid late, the ENTIRE balance of the real estate tax bill becomes delinquent, and will accrue penalty until it is paid in full.

If I choose the installment option, can I pay more than the installment amount due?

Yes, anything over the amount of the installment due would be applied towards the next installment.

What determines a timely payment?

To be considered a timely payment, your tax payment must be received by the City Treasurer within 5-working days after the due date (see the grace period statutes of secs. 74.11 (7) and (8), 74.12 (7) and (8), 74.69(1), Wis. Stats., which are  construed as a whole)

What if I can't pay the amount due?

If you choose to pay your taxes in installments, then you must pay each installment on or before 5 working days after the due date or the TOTAL amount of your remaining unpaid taxes, special assessments, special charges and special taxes (if any) will be delinquent. (sec. 74.11(7), 74.12, or 74.87, Wis Stats.)  All delinquent taxes are subject to interest of 1%, and in addition, may be subject to an additional penalty. (sec. 74.47, Wis. Stats.)  The payment must be received by the treasurer within 5 working days of the due date.

How is penalty calculated?

Delinquent real estate taxes are subject to interest of one percent (1%) and penalty of one-half percent (1/2%) per month or fraction of a month, computed back to February 1. If any installment is delinquent, the total remaining unpaid balance becomes delinquent. Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 74.47, 74.12 (10), 74.12 (7)(8).

ONLINE at $1 fee for ACH (e-check) 2.5% convenience fee for credit card.

US MAIL - Pay by check only (payable to City of Kenosha). Include a self addressed, stamped envelope for receipt

CITY HALL (625-52ND STREET) DROPBOXES - White box at entrance to the west parking lot on 8th Avenue -or- -White box in the west parking lot, near west door to City Hall Put payment by check (payable to City of Kenosha) in envelope, mark outside of envelope “City Treasurer”.

CITY CLERK-TREASURER'S OFFICE 625 52nd Street, Room 105, Kenosha, WI 53140, Monday – Friday, 8am-4pm Closed Holidays Pay by check or cash (no fee) -or- debit card ($3.00 fee) -or- credit card (2.5% convenience fee).

LENDERS (BANKS) - Please contact your lender to confirm they are sending payment for your real estate tax bill. If the check is made out to you, be sure to endorse it before making payment (sign your name on the back).  If payment is more than the amount due, a refund will be mailed.

Lottery & Gaming Credit

Properties which were used as a primary residence by the owner on January 1 qualify for one lottery credit.

Review your tax bill to determine if the credit has been applied. Contact us at 653-4020 or by January 31 if:

-you are unsure if there is a credit applied to your bill -or-

-the property qualifies and there is no credit applied to your bill -or-

-there is a credit applied to the bill and the property does not qualify.




First Dollar Credit

The Governor established the First Dollar Credit in Act 20, the 2007-2009 biennial budget. The final form of Act 20 that passed by the State Legislature designated $75,000,000 to be allocated towards the 2008 tax bill of any real property in Wisconsin with an improvement on it. It was the Governor's intent to offer a credit that would exempt the first few thousand dollars in value on properties with improvements in order to ease the burden on those tax payers.

What parcels qualify for the First Dollar Credit?

Every taxable parcel in the State of Wisconsin qualifies for the First Dollar Credit provided that property contains a building (improvement). This includes business, commercial and private property. Unlike the Lottery and Gaming Credit, the property does not need to be the primary residence of the owner. The credit does not apply to personal property tax bills for businesses.

Does a property owner have to apply for this credit?

No, this credit should be automatically applied to all qualifying properties. If the property tax bill has an amount shown in the “Ass'd Value Improvements” box, that property should receive the credit.

Can an owner receive credit on more than one property?

Yes, each taxable property (with an improvement) qualified for this credit. Unlike the Lottery and Gaming Credit, it does not have to be the primary residence of the owner.

How is the First Dollar Credit calculated?

Much like the Lottery and Gaming Credit, the maximum credit value, based on the estimated fair market value, is multiplied by the equalized value school tax rate.

I just got my real estate tax bill in the mail, what do I do now?

The property owner is responsible for paying the bill. If you have a mortgage on your property, contact your lender for information on how payment from your escrow account is handled.

I am not sure if I am supposed to pay my property taxes, or if my mortgage company is paying them. How do I find out?

If you do not know if you are to pay your property taxes or if your mortgage company plans to, you should call your mortgage company.

I recently purchased this property. I thought the taxes were already paid. Why am I getting this bill?

You should read your closing documents to determine if any portion or proration of the taxes were credited to you by the previous owner. You are responsible for any taxes which were not paid or credited as of closing.

Are there any programs to help me with my property taxes?

Certain Wisconsin property owners and renters may qualify for additional tax credits and/or loan assistance under special programs administered by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR), the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and WHEDA. Some income and residency restrictions apply. You may obtain information about several of these programs on the DOR website at

Income Tax Credits - Wisconsin Department of Revenue; Box 8949; Madison WI 53708-8949
Homestead Credit (email: )
Farmland Tax Relief Credit (email: )
School Property Tax Credit (email: )

DATCP Credit - Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection; Box 8911; Madison WI 53708-8911
Farmland Preservation Credit Box 8911, Madison WI 53708-1728

Loan Assistance - WHEDA, 1-800-755-7835, Box 1728, Madison, WI 53701-1728
Property Tax Deferral Loans for the Elderly

Property Tax Credits - Email: - Wisconsin Department of Revenue 6-97, Box 8971, Madison, WI 53708-8971
Lottery and Gaming Credit
First Dollar Credit
School Levy Tax Credit

How can I change the ownership name on the bill?

Contact the County Register of Deeds, 1010 - 56th Street, (262) 653-2441.

How can I change my mailing address?

Use this address change form or Contact the City Assessor, 625 - 52nd Street, (262) 653-4480.