City of Kenosha Menu

I can’t make it to my Court date. Can I reschedule?

Yes. You may reschedule your Court date one time as long as you call prior to your Court date to reschedule. You may request night court, but you must do so in writing, as it is not automatically scheduled. If you do request night court, it will occur at 5:00 p.m. on the last Tuesday of the month.

Do you take credit card payments?

Yes. You can pay your Court fees online with a credit card or ACH payment (electronic check). Simply click on the link PAY ONLINE on this website and enter the required information. You will need your citation number in order to pay online. Payments made online will be received by the court the following business day.

What if I failed to Appear?

If you fail to appear, you will be found guilty by default, judgment will be entered against you, and penalties will be imposed in your absence.

I missed my Court date and really wanted to appear. Can I get it reopened?

To request a reopening of your case you complete the Motion to Reopen form found on this website explaining to the Judge why you missed your Court date, requesting that it be reopened. Court costs will be assessed between $0 - $300, and must be paid prior to your motion hearing date. Once the motion cost is paid a hearing will be held before the Judge to determine if there is just cause to reopen your case. Payment of Court Costs does not guarantee that your case will be reopened, and court costs are not applied to any balanced owed for your citation.

I got charged with Refusal to Consent to Chemical Testing in addition to Operating While Intoxivated. Why does the REFUSAL matter and how can I request my hearing?

A Refusal is a separate violation from the actual Operating While Intoxicated charge and it carries it’s own set of mandatory penalties which are set forth by the State of Wisconsin. You MUST request a hearing yourself because a hearing is NOT automatically scheduled for you. If you don’t request a hearing you will be found guilty of Refusal automatically. If found guilty of a refusal your license will be revoked for 12 months, you will be required to install the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) on all vehicles titled in your name for 12 months, a $50 surcharge will be imposed, and you will be required to complete an Alcohol Assessment. If you would like to have a hearing to dispute the matter of the refusal you must submit your Refusal Hearing Request in writing to the Municipal Court Office within 10 business days from the date of issuance. This time frame is set forth by state law and there are NO exceptions. This Court does not have the ability to reopen your refusal if you fail to make your written request in a timely manner.

How can I request a jury trial?

A person charged with an OWI (Operating While Intoxicated relating to either alcohol or controlled substances), or a PAC (Prohibited Alcohol Concentration) violation has a right to request a jury trial in Circuit Court within 10 days after the entry of a plea. All other violations will be a bench trial before the Municipal Court Judge. To request a jury trial simply submit your Jury Trial Request in writing to the Municipal Court Office within the 10 day time frame along with a check for $36 written out to CLERK OF COURTS. Your case will then be transferred to Circuit Court for a jury trial.

This is not my ticket. I think somebody used my name. Now what?

Write a letter to the Court letting us know it was not you that received the citation. Provide as much information and any supporting documentation you possess to establish this. We will set up a hearing allowing you to establish that you were wrongfully convicted.

I didn't pay my fines and now I'm suspended. What do I do now?

If this is the only suspension/revocation on your driving record, you must first pay your fine to the Court. Once payment is received, you will need to wait 24 to 48 hours and then reinstate your driving privileges with the Wisconsin DMV. A reinstatement fee will apply. PLEASE NOTE: Your driving status will remain suspended until you reinstate with the DMV. Simply paying the fine will not make your license valid.

Can I do community service to take care of my fines?

Generally, community service is reserved for the impoverished and juveniles under the age of 17, for non-traffic violations. You must submit your request in writing to the Municipal Court Judge and if impoverished, you must also submit an Affidavit of Indignecy.

Can I get an extension to pay my fines?

Yes, but you must put your request in writing. You may submit your request through mail, through email: , by fax: 262-653-4222, or by stopping in our office to fill out a form. No verbal requests will be accepted. Explain in your request why you need the extension, how much time you need, and if you want to be put on a payment plan. If you are requesting a monthly payment plan please explain how much you can afford to pay per month, and submit a current mailing address. The Judge’s response will come through the mail. This request must be made prior to the due date of your fine.

I'm afraid I'm going to lose my license on points. What can I do?

Your best option is to make your Court appearance and inform the Judge of your license status. He may grant you the opportunity to complete Point Reduction School at Gateway Technical College. Upon completion, you will receive three points back on your license.

How long will this traffic charge remain on my record?

The points will remain on your record for one year from the date of the violation. The actual charge will remain on your record for five years, unless the charge is Operating While Intoxicated (OWI). A conviction for an OWI or related offense will remain on your record permanently.

I failed to make my payments. How can I avoid a warrant for my arrest?

If incarceration is the penalty for failure to pay your citation, you may always call or personally visit the clerk to address the matter. You may request an indigence hearing before the Judge, or make a good faith down payment and request for reasonable payment plan. You WILL NOT be arrested for failure to pay if you appear at the clerk’s office in good faith to make payment arrangements.